Changes in KingsRow version 1.16d
- KingsRow has a new parallel search which can use up to 4 search threads on
a quad-core CPU. This makes the search as much as 3x faster than a single
- A new CheckerBoard.exe is included in this setup file.
- There is a new engine options dialog which is accessible using the
menu Engine, Options, then click on the "More Options" button.
This new dialog provides a number of new controls useful for configuring
KingsRow. There are several new controls for configuring WLD and MTC
databases. There is a browse control for selecting the opening book
file. There is also a control to select the number of parallel search
threads and show the number of CPU cores that are present.
- CheckerBoard and KingsRow are now Vista compliant, which means you can
now use them without getting the annoying messages from Vista's User
Account Control saying, "An unidentified program wants to access
your computer, Cancel or Allow...". To make this happen, all
log files, user pdn files, analysis files, etc. are now written under
the user's Documents directory, instead of under Program Files where
they were previously written. However, Cake is not yet Vista compliant,
so if you select it as one of the engines you might still get this UAC
- A bug was fixed in CheckerBoard which prevented it from clearing the
history of played positions in the engines when using the Forward and
Back toolbar commands. This caused KingsRow to sometimes incorrectly
think that the position was a draw by repetition when using Analysis
- The menu command Edit, "PDN from Clipboard", or CTRL-V, can
now be used to paste either pdn or a position string into CheckerBoard.
In the previous version these commands would appear to paste a position
string into CheckerBoard, but the side to move color was always set to
white regardless of the color given in the position string.
- The install file for KingsRow 1.16d does not contain a complete
installation for CheckerBoard, it only replaces CheckerBoard.exe (and
CheckerBoard64.exe in 64-bit installs). This only works when installed
on top of an existing installation of CheckerBoard. If you do not have
an existing CheckerBoard installation, install this first using the
install file from Martin's site, then install KingsRow 1.16d.